Monday, January 28, 2008

Thaipusam

It's been almost a week since the last time i blogged due to work commitment and lack of internet access.

After the last posting, i was asked to go to Miri yet again on a very short notice (Damn, brape kali nak kena gie Miri nih!?) The company wanted me to be in Miri on Tuesday (last tues, that is) but i refused after knowing that our Prime Minister had declared Thaipusam was a public holiday for KL&Putrajaya ONLY. Hmmm... i wondered why KL&Putrajaya only as i believed that there are more rakyat Malaysia in other state who are celebrating Thaipusam too... maybe, that's another cink in Pak Lah's leadership amour? I'l take any extra publich holiday anytime of the day.

Anway, i decided to go cycling around Putrajaya with a few friends. Woke up at 530am, prepped up my bicyle, downed a glass of protein drink, a bowl of All Bran cereal, a banana, answered a routine nature's call, did my early morning prayer, off to buy Gatorade and reached Putrajya around 7am. I have never ride around Putrajaya and this will be the first time i'm doing it, thus, explained why i was the first one to arrive. Excited sgt kot. haha...

Later, one by one arrived. I knew no one except for Shazly and Ariff. I was told there will be 8 us cycling and little that i knew that there will be 4 Ironman trainees, 1 triathlete, 2 triathlon retirees and a bummer (that's me..!!). shaitt...!! I knew I'm looking for trouble here. We gathered near the Putrajaya majestic mosque and rolled out around 730am. These fellas brought road bikes worthy of international competitions and i'm on a cheap humble Indonesian-made MTB only.

Our first marker was to make one loop around PICC and then, another loop at Putrajaya toll exit to KLIA and finish-off with the Powerman route. I have never done more than 30km and if i complete this, it will be my new PB.

I kept pace with those guys until PICC only and as soon as we hit the first uphill - i knew i will be alone from thereon. It was a hot day. Really hot. I struggled but i pushed myself. At one time, my heart rate touched 90% and i could feel that my thigh muscles were tightening up. The road going towards the Putrajaya toll exit was quite flat with 3 bums (bums=naik bukit, turun bukit). For me, it's a mind over matter thingy. I was praying that my tyre will not go bust or else no one will be within reach to rescue me. Half-way through, i could see that my friends (including the retirees) were coming back fast from the opposite direction. I'm easily 3-4 kms behind them. Once in awhile, i questioned myself why did i agree to their offer and suffered like this.

Fearing the worst, i cycled and maintained my cadence while drilling my head with my first failed cycling experience as a motivation to keep going.

I skipped the Powerman route and i reached the finish point around the mosque parking area clocking almost 2 hours. Burned 2527kcal. 34km.

Without any rest, we packed up our bikes, replenished body fluid with Gatorade and off we went again, running. By now, the sun was getting unbearable and unforgiving. The guys went on for about 6km but i did only 3km on my jelly-like legs. Burned another 653kcal.

It's my first so-called duathlon.

That's another milestone, folks.

I'm getting there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

on one hand i m jeles of yr achievement with yr sheer determination, on the other, i m proud u la.....

so when should we slot in a kari kepala ikan post in between yr many ironman-peddling-running-colories-powerbar-heartbeat posts?????? hehehe

keat

Upiq said...

Keat,

IronMan is only a far-fetch dream. It's the self-discovery journey that's attracts me most. Limits...? What's limit?

Kari kepala ikan, bila ko free larrr...