Monday, April 21, 2008

bangsar on a friday













please click to enlarge.
1. red snapper fish head curry + taugeh
2. closeup of fish head

It was neither a hot and heaty Friday, but with an overcast sky, angin sepoi sepoi and we met at the Bangsar stall, a highly recommended Kari Kepala Ikan stall by Upiq. It was a quick one, a no-holds-bar tuck-in on a straight forward menu.

I needed it, because I love kari kepala ikans. He needed it because he needed me and also the kari kepala ikan. (ahem, kidding)













3. upiq eating its heart out.
4. upiq' fren gonna chew on the eyeball
5. upiq cleaning and slurping up the remnants of the head

The mamak version was really one of a kind. While I have indulge in various sort of kepala ikan whether it was curry or in soy paste or stir fried in various chinese styles, this one is really one of its kind. It has its standing out factor.

The Red Snapper was tender and indeed has a very fresh appeal. The curry was that properly blended and just right, not too spicy nor out of taste. It's not lumpy and the mix has a slight sourish tinge, rounding off a good signature for an outlet. The size was perfect for two. Upiq told me that the one we were having was specially made due to some exclusive relationship, so, I therefore noted that I may not be having the standard ones dished out from their daily fares. I hope ours does not fare too good and too far away from the rest too as to make a good and fair review.

Accompanying the main dish was a miserable plate of taugeh which was quite rich in its own right, plain but simple and nice. Going with it was white rice, which I thought was a must to enable the richness of the curry and the fish to be accentuated, albeit my friend loaded me alittle too much of those carbo which I did not complain anyway.

While the thought of him sabotaging me on the delicious fish and gravy was playing in my mind, I did not care too much because I believe I have made sufficient assault anyway.

So, he whacked the skin of the lips and I whacked the eyes. It's a really good deal, nothing was left out, no left overs, no wastages.

The overall environ and the food it self was really unpretentious and I have no qualms to close a design contract deal or a design meeting or an after meeting lunch at this place, just that, so far I have not come across someone who can tag along...yet. So pretentious! Must 'air-con' wan meh?
To me, this is my kind of place, call me anything but I feel comfy having my lunch there. And I was wondering if the meal will be complete without this other eating partner of mine!












6. upiq and upiq's fren, after lunch and after upiq change his seat for shelter frm the sun











7. the aftermath. please note that i hv loaded my 'part' of bones on upiq's plate for 'efficiency'.























Ader lagiiii!!!!














8. penang rojak at a nearby stall, accompanied with soy milk

2 comments:

Upiq said...

Keat - wa tak sangka lu mmg pandai makan kari kepala ikan...

You guys should witness how he disintegrated the eye balls and sucked it out from the socket.


Betcha, he's a curry maniac. hirup kuah kari pakai sudu wa cakap lu..

k said...

hehehe. biler lagi woi? let's make it once a month ...lah!